Low Carb Double Chocolate Brownies
- 1 1/2 tablespoons wheat bran, or oat bran
- 1 1/4 cups plus 1/2 tablespoon soy flour
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon no sugar added vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Low carb chocolate frosting, (directions & recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 325º F
- Spray pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Mix wheat bran and 1/2 TB soy flour and sprinkle evenly over inside of the greased pan, coating sides.
- Melt butter and unsweetened chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Whisk into the chocolate mixture 1C sugar substitute and 1/4 C heavy cream, blending thoroughly. Then turn off heat, keeping warm until needed.
- With electric mixer on high, beat eggs, 1 cup sugar substitute, and vanilla extract just until blended. Reduce to low speed, then add in the chocolate mixture.
- With wooden spoon, mix in baking powder, 1 1/4 cups soy flour, walnuts, and 1/4 C heavy cream.
- Transfer mixture evenly into the prepared pan and bake on the center rack for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Do not over-bake or brownies will be dry and hard.
- Optional: cool completely before frosting with low carb chocolate frosting. Cut into 5 rows by 5 rows to make 25 pieces.
Low Carb Chocolate Frosting
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (not melted)
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon no sugar added vanilla extract
- Few drops hot water, as needed, to thin consistency
Place all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until well combined. Use to frost brownies, but make sure brownies are completely cooled, or the butter in the frosting will melt.