Zig Zagging 101
The Zig Zag (carb cycle) is the understructure of what I do with every client, because it really works. I’m going to introduce you to the basics of Zig Zagging, and four different plans—Easy, Standard, Express and Turbo/Pro.
What is Zig Zagging (carb cycling)?
It’s pretty simple: Zig Zagging is a food plan which alternates high-carb and low-carb days. Depending on the plan you follow, it may also have built in reward days, or reward meals. This way, you can still eat your favorite foods on a regular basis while still losing weight.
- Each week has a slightly different mix of high-carb and low-carb days, but each day basically follows the same pattern:
- Eat five meals — no more, no less. (A “meal” is really an “eating opportunity”)
- Every morning, eat a high carb breakfast that includes protein, ideally within 30 minutes of waking
- The remaning four meals should be eaten at regular 3 hour intervals
- Choose foods from my Zig Zag smart food list. (Sign up here to receive a FREE printable food guide!)
- Drink a gallon of water.
BTW: I’m now doing personalized, guided carb-cycling coaching online! You can have me as your own personal nutrition coach, answering your questions and guiding you each step of the way. Send a message requesting pricing details and info.
You don’t have to give up carbs.
To lose body fat, our bodies need the right combinations of proteins, carbs, and healthy fats
Carbs are your body’s preferred fuel source, and they come in healthy versions (veggies, whole grains, legumes) and evil “high glycemic” versions (fudge, juice, candy, donuts, soda pop, cakes, and many processed foods). Healthy “low glycemic” carbs keep your blood sugar and energy levels stable so that you can continue to burn more body fat.
Proteins build and keep our muscles strong, and muscles burn calories like a furnace. Always keep your protein intake up to an appropriate level, because proteins break down more slowly than carbs and fat, and make you feel fuller longer.
Healthy fats (unsaturated) keep energy levels stable by preventing you from feeling hungry. Consumed in moderation, they can also help the development and function of your eyes and brain, preventing heart disease, stroke, depression and arthritis.
Why the Zig Zag mechanism?
To simplify things, the reason for alternating between “Zag Up” (high-carb) days and “Zag Down” (low-carb) days is because the pattern “tricks” your metabolism into burning a lot of calories — on high-carb days, you’re stoking your metabolism so that on low-carb days, your body burns fat.
What benefits can I expect?
There are so many benefits to carb cycling:
- No matter where you are, it fits almost any lifestyle
- You’ll learn how to shape your body by making smarter choices.
- You’ll have more energy
- You’ll sleep better
- Your digestion will improve
- You’ll get to eat the foods you love
- You’ll build lean muscles
- You’ll transform on every level: physically, mentally and spiritually.
I am now doing personalized, guided carb-cycling coaching online! You can have me as your own personal nutrition coach guiding every step of the way. Send a message requesting details and info.
Learn more about my four Zig Zag plans to find your best fit, and let the carb cycling begin!
Turbo/Pro Cycle (new)